Thursday, September 25, 2008

Of Doctor Wats

Another quick hat tip to one of the greatest men in history, Dr. Richard Hill Varnum Wats.

I used to think my dad had little patience for people and I suppose, like anyone, he DOES have little patience for people who fritter away his time or their own. Nevertheless, it seems every time I see dad, he's eager to help someone out. The list for the favors he's done me alone is practically endless and no doubt he could have taken a cruise or two with the time and money (For time = money) he's spent trying to help me find my way in life. Through every blunder and failed attempt, dad has been there to help me climb back onto my horse and look for a new endeavor. Without spoiling me - at least, not TOO much - he's managed to make sure that I never go without the necessities of life while making sure that I understand that anything else must be worked for.

Side note: Mom has been by his side through these sorts of lessons. They both have always offered a means by which to get the things I want. I've come to truly respect this method. I had friends who were paid to do simple house chores and while it frustrated me initially that my parents wouldn't offer me the same treatment, I'm now glad that they didn't. Paying your child to clean his room seems a bit odd to me, now.

As I've grown older, I find it more and more fun to sit and talk to dad about things. We share many of the same interests, from music to boxing to business. One of my favorite past times has become sitting with dad late at night, watching CSPAN or CNN and discussing whatever topics they happen to throw at us.

I think Anderson Cooper has actually brought my father and I closer together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is nice that you wrote this. I am sure your parents appreciate it. They are most definitely generous people. Isn't it funny how it is the small things that bring people together?