Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A New England Haunting

I can not more fully appreciate why Stephen King uses rural Maine as the basis for so much of his horror. New England is, potentially, the most terrifying place ever. The imagery of darkness slowly climbing up from the east as the sun disappears into the west, with the steeple of a church silhouetted against the fading light, surrounded by pines that stand in grim silence, untouched by the rapid approach of fall and winter...

I just woke up from a nap where this very scenario was playing out. I had traveled to a small town to get something, I cannot remember what. What I do remember is meeting terrifying people and nearly being driven off the road by some demented individual and being hounded down the streets by cult-like psychopaths.

All in all it was the sort of nightmare that leaves you feeling pretty horrible upon waking up. I looked out my window with sleep still fresh in my eyes and saw the fading light, a scene very close to the one I had just left.

I still feel uncomfortable. I need a hot cinnamon bun, a blanket, and a good movie to wipe this feeling away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Rural Maine can have such spooky scenes. I can also picture a spooky Sleepy Hollow place. Steven King made Hollywood film a number of films in Maine. When I was a student they used the interstate highway that had just been built in Bangor to film a scene for 'It'. We went down to watch but they didn't let us get very close.

Ave said...

I loved Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp. O0ooooo. The only thing that I hated was when they killed the little red headed boy, he reminded me of you and dtv, so it made me cringe and close my eyes.
New England is a magical bizarre place, I think it is all the granite giving off radon.