Tuesday, September 16, 2008

" Ah, Venice."

I feel like saying that as I see the fading light of the sun coming through the leaves of the trees, gold through a colander. I'm home alone right now, which is nice to have once in a while. I very much enjoy the company of my roomate and friends, but I definitely need 'my time' which I really feel I can only get when I'm in a house alone.

It's chilly tonight, a bit more so than last night. Nonetheless, I am enjoying it and though I left work feeling like a three course meal of haggard, plentifully garnished with grumpy, that has all melted away. I am becoming pleased with the progression of 'Untold Text', to the point that I even feel giddy while writing it, despite it's dark contents.

I've been pouring over the works of Edward Gorey for the past few days, using his dark imagery as inspiration and mood-maker while i write. I remember watching Mystery with mom and I always LOVED the opening. It was practically the best part, (unless of course Jeremy Brett was playing Sherlock Holmes. I'm convinced there is no a single soul on this planet who could ever portray dear Sherlock in such brilliance.) Coupling Gorey's work with some classical pieces I downloaded, I have little lack of inspiration while I write. Hopefully, my discipline will share this degree of presence.

Again, no story clips tonight. I'm too busy walking on beautiful to mar it. It's a beautiful mix, beyond my windows, of a Mediterranean sunset and dusk falling over farmland.

Well played, God.

4 comments:

Ave said...

I love that Edward Gorey animation too. I wish that I could be in Venice right now too, but I think Italy would feel too exotic to stay and be comfortable. Give me a rock shanty with a thatched roof any day over sun and grapes

L.C. Varnum said...

Haha, Ave, we both know you're still destined for the great house with the pond out back in which JW slowly paddles you about in a boat while you sit in your white dress and parisol. (Spelling?)

Anonymous said...

They call Amsterdam the Venice of the north. Well I've never been to Venice but I don't think it rains as much there and I'm sure they have better sunsets. After all you need a sun to have a set right?

L.C. Varnum said...

Hmm, I would tend to believe that a sunset would be a bit more functional with a sun. But no one can deny the power of the mind to pretend one is there!